While spring is a common time for many homeowners to spend some extra attention on upkeep and maintenance, autumn is just as critical a season for preparing your home to withstand the potentially harsh winter weather and temperature conditions that may await you.
Following are some home maintenance tips from the Risk Control professionals at Travelers Insurance to help you prepare for the coming winter:
• Have your heating system cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified technician.
• Replace your furnace filter in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
• Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to freezing temperatures.
• Check gutters for damage and confirm they’re securely attached to the house.
• Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. This is especially important during the fall season when leaves may collect in gutters.
• Check and repair caulking around doors and windows that show signs of deterioration.
• Have your chimney cleaned and maintained by a professional.
• Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under and behind the dryer. Remove lint and dust that may have accumulated inside the dryer in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation.
• Check electrical outlets for loose-fitting plugs or receptacles. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets.
• Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible. Confirm that it is fully charged and ready for operation.
• Inspect your smoke detectors.
And for any insurance questions, or a quote on your home insurance call AIC Insurance at (509)-764-4447. With offices in Moses Lake and Quincy, we are your local, professionals agents.